Buttermilk Biscuit and Gravy Recipe
Here’s the printable version of the recipe.
- 2 ½ C all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tbs white sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ C (1 stick) unsalted butter – frozen, cut into small pieces
- ¾ C buttermilk – cold
- 2 large eggs
– 1 egg slightly beaten for the biscuits
– 1 egg well beaten for egg wash
- 2 tbs bacon grease
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- ¾ – 1 C whole milk
- salt & pepper to season
- large mixing bowl
- 2 baking sheets
- small bowl
- parchment paper
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup – liquid
- measuring cup – dry
- pastry brush
- round cookie cutter – I used 1½”
- pastry cutter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place one baking sheet on top of the other baking sheet.
- Place the parchment paper on top of the baking sheets and set aside.
Note: Do not grease the baking sheet or the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl: whisk or sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add butter pieces into the flour mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter: cut butter into the flour mixture until it has a grain-like texture.
Note: If the buttered flour mixture appears to be soft, place the bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill a bit.
- In a seperate small bowl: crack and slightly beaten the egg. Pour the “slightly beaten egg” and buttermilk into the flour mixture.
- Using a fork: Stir and mix the flour mixture until it is incorporated and shaggy looking.
Note: Be careful not to over mix. This will cause a dense and cakey biscuit.
- Place the dough on the countertop and gently gather the dough into a ball.
- Lightly knead the dough (2-3 times) so that it comes together.
- Pat the dough out to about ½” thickness.
- Press the cookie cutter into the dough
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheets.
- Crack another egg in a small bowl and beat it well. Use the pastry brush to brush the egg wash on each biscuits.
- Place both baking sheets of biscuits in the center of the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- On med-low heat: add the flour to the bacon grease in the pan and whisk.
- While whisking, scrape all the bits from the pan. Whisk until the fat and bits are absorbed into the flour.
- Turn the heat up to medium.
- Gradually stir in ½ C of milk and make a roux.
- Whisk until the roux thickens up and it may be a little lumpy.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to whisk so the gravy won’t get lumpy. Let the gravy come to a slight boil.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour over buttermilk biscuits and serve immediately.